Advocacy Alert - April 15 2014
An Act Relative to Enhancing English Opportunities for all Students in the Commonwealth H479 (Sanchez) / S225 (DiDomenico)
1. Enables English language learners and their parents to choose from multiple language instruction educational programs while maintaining students’ opportunities for academic success,
2. Strengthens and ensures proper qualifications for teachers working in the different models of language instruction educational programs, and
3. Encourages parent and student involvement to facilitate success on an individual basis.
The Mass Joint Committee on Education has put an extension order on this bill to improve English language learning in MA. This grants them an additional month (until April 17th) to report out the bill favorably to the legislature for passage. This would be a monumental feat of success for the bill and would signal a very promising future.
MATSOL and the advocacy coalition working on to pass the bill are organizing a campaign to contact members of the Education Committee -- We need every MATSOL member to contact legislators and urge them to support the bill!
See below for directions to CALL, EMAIL and TWEET members of the Joint Committee on Education.
On Tuesday, April 15 (especially between 3:00PM and 5:00PM) TWEET the following legislators saying “Pass H479/S225,” and using the hashtag #ELLevateMA in all your tweets:
Joint Ed Committee Chair: @SoniaChangDiaz
Committee Vice-Chairs: @patjehlen @denisegarlick
House/Senate Leadership: @ThereseMurrayMA @RonMariano
3) EMAIL your legislators asking them to support H479/S225, with a cc: to the Co-Chairs of the Joint Education Committee. Use this email program set up by the MIRA Coalition to automatically find your legislator and format the email with a cc. Click here to send an email message.
CALL your legislators on Tuesday or Wednesday. Tell them that it is imperative that they contact the chairs of the Joint Education Committee and show their support for H479/S225. Find your legislator contact information and use the suggested phone script below.
Suggested Script from Students For Education Reform (SFER):
May I speak with the legislative aid for Representative/Senator ________?
My name is caller name from city or town. I’m calling to ask Representative/Senator ______ to sign on to support House Bill H.479/Senate Bill S.225, An act relative to enhancing English language opportunities for all students in the Commonwealth, filed by Rep. Jeffrey Sanchez and Sen. Sal DiDomenico.
I support this bill because:
1. It enables students and parent to choose from multiple language instruction educational programs while maintaining students’ opportunities for academic success.
2. It strengthens and ensures proper qualifications for teachers working in the different models of language instruction educational programs and
3. It encourages parent and student involvement to facilitate success on an individual basis.
Can you please tell me if Representative/Senator _______ supports and will sign on to House 479/Senate 225?
Thank you so much to Representative/Senator _________’s support for House Bill 479/Senate Bill 225. Have a great day?
**IF NOT SURE**
Please ask Representative/Senator ________ to support House Bill 479/Senate Bill 225 as it is very important for Massachusetts students to be educated to the best of their ability. When can I call back to follow up on the Representative’s/Senator’s decision? Thank you. Have a great day. **END CALL**
I am disappointed to hear that my Representative/Senator is not supporting House Bill 479/ Senate Bill 225. Thank you for listening. Have a great day. **END CALL**
MATSOL's advocacy partners include: MABE-Mass Association for Bilingual Education; Mass Advocates for Children; MIRA-Mass Immigrant and Refugee Advocacy Coalition; SEFR-Students for Education Reform; META-Multicultural Education, Training & Advocacy; Oíste; MA Jobs with Justice, Multilingual Action Council; Jobs for Justice; MA Foreign Language Association; One Nation Indivisible; MDOC-Multicultural Dropout Outreach Coalition; PANGEA-Parents for a Global Education Association.